Kencho-Ji Temple originally comprised seven main buildings and 49 sub-temples, but most of these were destroyed in a series of fires during the 14th and 15th centuries. In the Tokugawa Era, however, the Zen master Takuan succeeded in restoring Kencho-Ji to much of its former splendor with the help of aid from the Shogunate. At present, the Kencho-Ji complex contains about 10 sub-temples and 10 other main buildings.
This is a giant statue of the Goddess of Mercy of the White Robe, from whom patrons seek out comfort in times of solitude and loneliness. The current statue was completed in 1960. The temple grounds also contain stones carried from ground zero in Hiroshima and Nagasaki to commemorate the souls of those who died.
This temple was established to comfort the souls of the dead who were lost during the Mongol invasions from 1274-1281. Tokimune, the temple's founder, wished not just to honor the Japanese dead, but also the Mongolians who died at sea after a kamikaze (Divine Wind) sank their invasion fleet.